Thursday, November 11, 2010

Kindness

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato

A chat with a childhood friend reminded of this quote today. I think I love this quote because it's just so simple. Be kind. The rest of the quote isn't really even necessary, we all know why we need to be kind. We're dealing with people, and they only come in one form - broken.

I wasn't aware of this quote when I worked at Hallmark, but I encountered a lot of faces at the register each day. I was sometimes overwhelmed thinking that each face represented stories. Each face had a whole series of relationships associated with it. Each face knew pain, joy, sorrow, hope. And here we were, pretending to just be faces, with no story, exchanging plastics at the register. I was so easily annoyed with the coupon lady, the guy with dirty hands (germs), and the red-headed lady who wouldn't stop talking. But, how simple to see beyond the face and be kind.

Wish I had more kindness to give today. So glad for this great Word. He steps in when our kindness fails. "Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens. Selah" -Psalm 68:19

---

These make me smile. Still a work in progress, but even unfinished they bring a little cheer.

No comments:

Post a Comment